Hey friends from A Dica! Today we are going to learn about the word Beleza in Portuguese. Do you know that it has more than one meaning?
What is Beleza in Portuguese?
What does beleza mean in Portuguese? The word beleza in Portuguese means literally beauty. That is, the quality of what is beautiful.
Now take a look at one of our students explaining this slang for you:
So, beleza can be a noun that refers to something that is beautiful and it can also be a way to greet people, like saying “How are you?” or “How is it going?”.
It’s very common to hear Brazilians saying beleza all the time. What’s up with that? So, let’s learn the contexts in which we use the word beleza with a different meaning, not in the literal sense. Take a look:
To ask someone how they are doing
You don’t always need to say como você está? (how are you?) when you want to know how the other person is. You can just say: beleza?
|Diogo: E aí, Cássio! Beleza?||Diogo: Hey, Cássio! How are you?|
|Cássio: Beleza, cara! E você? beleza?||Cássio: I’m fine dude. What about you?|
|Diogo: Beleza também, mano||Diogo: I’m fine too, brother!|
To confirm something
Beleza can also be used when we want to confirm something. We usually use it to make sure that the other person understood what you said.
|Igor: Luana, faz essa tradução pra mim, beleza?||Igor: Luana, translate this for me, alright?|
|Luana: Beleza, Igor!||Luana: Alright Igor!|
In our Portuguese classes we use it a lot to make sure that the students have understood. haha. And when we, the teachers from Rio & Learn, ask beleza? and you want to say that everything’s ok, that you understood, you just reply the same way: beleza.
To say that something is good
We also use the word beleza to say that something is nice, cool, good. For example:
Esta viagem foi uma beleza!
This trip was nice!
Esta comida está uma beleza!
This food is very good!
I hope you enjoyed this Dica and don’t forget to subscribe to our Youtube Channel and see more video Dicas like this one.
Exercise for beleza in Portuguese
Before you leave, complete this exercise and we’ll see if you can use this word correctly. Tell us which sentences are correct and which are incorrect. For that you have to put the letter C (certo / right) next to the correct answers and E (errado/ wrong) next to the wrong ones. When the word beleza is in the wrong place, you’ll find the correct sentence in the answers at the end of this Dica.
- Hoje vamos beleza tomar uma cerveja? ( )
- E ai, beleza? ( )
- Pega aquele beleza copo pra mim? ( )
- Agora é momento de concentração, beleza? ( )
- Como foi a festa ontem, tudo beleza? ( )
- O curso de Português online é uma beleza! ( )
- Oi, beleza amigos? ( )
- Você beleza precisa entregar o trabalho hoje? ( )
- Beleza? Entenderam? ( )
- Beleza! Entendemos sim! ( )
A big hug from Rio & Learn.
Click in the links below to see more related Dicas
What does Sinistro mean in Portuguese
Meaning of the Portuguese Word Nossa
Informal Expressions in Portuguese
What does Tô Nem Aí mean
Exercise about beleza in Portuguese: answers
- Hoje vamos beleza tomar uma cerveja? (E) – Hoje vamos tomar uma cerveja, beleza?
- E ai, beleza? (C)
- Pega aquele beleza copo pra mim? (E) – Pega aquele copo pra mim, beleza?
- Agora é momento de concentração, beleza? (C)
- Como foi a festa ontem, tudo beleza? (C)
- O curso de Português online é uma beleza! (C)
- Oi, beleza amigos? (E) – Oi amigos, beleza?
- Você beleza precisa entregar o trabalho hoje? (E) – Você precisa entregar o trabalho hoje, beleza?
- Beleza? Entenderam? (C)
- Beleza! Entendemos sim! (C)