History of Bohemia and beer in Brazil
Hey guys! Let’s have a virtual drink and talk about beer!
More specifically, the history of beer in Brazil. We’ve seen in our Video Dica about Brazilian beers that everything started with Bohemia Brazilian beer, back in 1853. Let’s learn more about this… while at the same time learning Portuguese!
Besides being the first Brazilian beer, Bohemia Brazilian beer is also the oldest beer still in production in Brazil. Cervejaria Bohemia, the name of the company, is located in Petrópolis, a small city close to Rio de Janeiro. The man responsible for creating the company was Heinrich Leiden, but ten years later he decided to sell the company to Heinrich Kremer, who had the brilliant idea of expanding the business.
The company’s first name was Fábrica de Cerveja Nacional (National Beer Factory), but in 1889 they came up with the name Cervejaria Bohemia (Bohemia Brewery). 23 years later the company was recognized as the primary brewery in the state of Rio and started exporting beers to all regions of Brazil.
Nowadays, Bohemia offers a wide range of beers; here in Brazil the 3 best sellers are : Bohemia Pilsen, Bohemia Imperial and Bohemia Reserva.
Visiting the Bohemia Brazilian beer brewery
Still today we are able to visit this very same brewery. Do you wanna know how? If you come to study in Brazil, you can join us: we have a very special Petrópolis Day Trip RioLIVE! Weekend where you get to know more about the historical city and of course about the Cervejaria Bohemia. The brewery was fully restored and reopened in 2012 for visitors to delve into its history.
Now it’s your turn!
Let’s test your reading comprehension! Read the sentences below and say if they are true or false by placing V (for true) and F (for false) in parentheses. If the sentence is false, correct it!
- Bohemia foi a primeira cerveja brasileira. ( )
- A cerveja Bohemia foi creada em 1835. ( )
- O fundador da companhia foi Heinrich Kremer ( )
- A empresa mudou de nome em 1853 ( )
- As 3 cervejas mais famosas da Bohemia são Bohemia Pilsen, Bohemia Imperial e Bohemia Reserva ( )
- O primeiro nome da empresa era Fábrica de Cerveja de Rio de Janeiro ( )
- É possível visitar a fábrica da Bohemia ( )
- A fábrica da Bohemia fica no Rio de Janeiro ( )
Well, guys! This was the history of Bohemia beer in Brazil, and the best way to finish our Dica is by drinking some Brazilian beer!
See you later!
- Bohemia foi a primeira cerveja brasileira. ( V )
- A cerveja Bohemia foi creada em 1835. ( F )
A Cervejaria Bohemia foi creada em 1853
- O fundador da companhia foi Heinrich Kremer ( F )
O fundador da companhia foi Heinrich Leiden
- A empresa mudou de nome em 1853 ( F )
A empresa mudou de nome em 1889
- As 3 cervejas mais famosas da Bohemia são …..( V )
- O primeiro nome da empresa era Fábrica de Cerveja de Rio de Janeiro ( F )
O primeiro nome da empresa era Fábrica de Cerveja Nacional
- É possível visitar a fábrica da Bohemia ( V )
- A fábrica da Bohemia fica no Rio de Janeiro ( F )
A fábrica da Bohemia fica em Petrópolis