Manuel Francisco dos Santos was born on October 28th, 1933, known by the nickname Garrincha. He was a great, notable and famous Brazilian footballer who played right winger and forward. He is regarded by many in the sport as one of the best dribblers in football and footballers’ history.
He was a star playing for the carioca club, Botafogo, one of the most popular football teams in Rio de Janeiro. He could kick and dribble in his own style, something very different at that time, since football in Brazil was more physical than technical. Garrincha helped developing the Brazilian football style that is very popular in the present days. Let’s see a video with his best movements:
Garrincha with the Brazilian Team
Garrincha footballer was as successful with the Brazilian team as in a club level. He played at the 1958 World Cup and also at the 1962 World Cup. Along with Pelé, who was really young at that time, Garrincha was more like an inspiration for him, guiding through the football way.
They won these two world cups together, but in 1962 it was special. Pelé got seriously injured during the tournament and could not play anymore. Garrincha stood as a leader and took the team to its second title putting his name at the football history books, mentioned a lot nowadays. Let’s see another video with more magical moments:
Unfortunately Garrincha died at the of 49 years old, really young, in Rio de Janeiro due to consequences of drinking problems. An early loss for Brazilian football and its fans. But he will always be remembered as one of the greatest in football history.
Most Important Titles of Garrincha
Now it’s your turn!
Are the statements below Verdadeiro (true) or Falso (false)?
- ( ) Garrincha é considerado o segundo melhor jogador da história do futebol no Brasil.
- ( ) Ele jogava pelo Flamengo.
- ( ) Garrincha ajudou a desenvolver o estilo de futebol que temos hoje no Brasil.
- ( ) Garrincha participou das Copas de 58 e 62.
- ( ) Pelé é irmão de Garrincha.
See you soon, guys!
Hugs from Rio de Janeiro!
- (V) Garrincha é considerado o segundo melhor jogador da história do futebol no Brasil.
- (F) Ele jogava pelo Flamengo.
- (V) Garrincha ajudou a desenvolver o estilo de futebol que temos hoje no Brasil.
- (V) Garrincha participou das Copas de 58 e 62.
- (F) Pelé é irmão de Garrincha.