Hello friends! Today we are going to study about the past tense of ter in Portuguese! Ready to learn Portuguese online?
Past Tense of Ter in Portuguese
Do you remember when we use the verb ter in Portuguese and its meaning? I’ll help you remember! We use the verb ter to talk about material things that we have, our feelings, sensations, problems and also to describe people, places and situations. In today’s Dica we are going to focus on the past tense of ter in Portuguese. So if you want to read again about the other tenses of this verb, read this Dica. So, let’s take a look at the conjugation of the Past Tense of Ter in Portuguese:
Tips to help you memorize the conjugation
The verb ter is an irregular verb in Portuguese, so we must pay attention and memorize the conjugation. Despite being irregular verbs and don’t applying to general rules of regular verbs, there are parts of irregular verbs that still follow the rules we already know. Don’t worry, we have some tips to help you!
The first one is that the conjugation of você and ele/ela will always be the same. As well as the conjugation of vocês and eles/elas.
The second one is that to conjugate nós we can copy the verb of the first person (eu) and add -mos.
And the last one, to conjugate the other plural forms you can copy the verb of the first person (eu) again and add -ram. These tips will also help you with other irregular verbs ;).
If you have any question and want to ask a teacher, have an Online Portuguese Class with us and we’ll help you even more!
Eles tiveram uma discussão ontem.
They had an argument yesterday.
Ela teve cabelo ruivo, rosa, azul e verde.
She had red, pink, blue and green hair.
Semana passada nós tivemos muita dor de cabeça.
Last week we had a lot of headache.
Você teve muitos brinquedos na infância?
Did you have a lot of toys in your childhood?
Ontem eles tiveram muito trabalho.
Yesterday they had a lot of work.
Eu tive um excelente curso de Português Online!
I had an excellent Portuguese Online Course!
Exercise with the Past Tense of Ter in Portuguese
Now let’s complete this exercise to make sure you know how to conjugate this verb.
- Eu _____ um dia longo hoje.
- Nós ______ o melhor momento de nossas vidas juntos.
- Elas _______ filhos.
- Você ______ dor de cabeça ontem?
- Ele _______ muito frio no inverno carioca.
- Eles ______ aula semana passada.
- Você _______ vontade de comer a pizza toda.
- Vocês _______ uma boa visita?
- Eu nunca ______ um skate.
- Nós não ______ companhia no evento semana passada.
Got it? It’s not that hard, see? Now take a look at this Instagram picture and using the verb ter in the past tell us: what they have in the picture?
- Eu tive um dia longo hoje.
- Nós tivemos o melhor momento de nossas vidas juntos.
- Elas tiveram filhos.
- Você teve dor de cabeça ontem?
- Ele teve muito frio no inverno carioca.
- Eles tiveram aula semana passada.
- Você teve vontade de comer a pizza toda.
- Vocês tiveram uma boa visita?
- Eu nunca tive um skate.
- Nós não tivemos companhia no evento semana passada.