Hi, people! How are you? Today we are going to talk about one of the most important people in Brazilian literature. Do you know who Paulo Coelho is? Today we’ll learn about Paulo Coelho’s books and practice Portuguese with some of Paulo Coelho’s sentences.
About Paulo Coelho
Paulo Coelho is one of the most read and much loved authors that Brazil has ever known. His works talk about mystical topics, self-help, romances, police investigations, and fiction stories. Paulo has had his books produced in more than 160 countries and translated into 73 languages.
He was born in Rio de Janeiro, on August 24th, 1947. Ever since he was a kid, he enjoyed writing and had a small diary with notes about his own life. As time went by, Paulo became a troublesome teenager. Because of arguments between his parents he suffered from bouts of depression and anger and he was hospitalized three times and put into a nursing home.
The spiritual path
Paulo overcame his adversities and decided to make several trips around the world. He walked the path of Caminho de Santiago for three months and that inspired him to write O Diário de um Mago, one of the greatest successes in his career. And later, writing about his most experience, O Alquimista, became the best-selling book of all time in Brazil, exceeding more than 80 million copies.
Let’s check if you know any of his books. Take a look at our list of Paulo Coelho’s books :
Books by Paulo Coelho
- 1974 – O Teatro na Educação
- 1982 – Arquivos do inferno
- 1986 – Manual prático do vampirismo
- 1987 – O Diário de um Mago
- 1988 – O Alquimista
- 1990 – Brida
- 1992 – As Valkírias
- 1994 – Na Margem do Rio Piedra Eu Sentei e Chorei
- 1996 – O Monte Cinco
- 1998 – Veronika Decide Morrer
- 2000 – O Demônio e a Srta. Prym
- 2003 – Onze Minutos
- 2005 – O Zahir
- 2006 – A Bruxa de Portobello
- 2008 – O Vencedor Está Só
- 2010 – O Aleph
- 2012 – Manuscrito Encontrado em Accra
- 2014 – Adultério
- 2016 – A Espiã
Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams.
Exercise using Paulo Coelho sentences
Paulo Coelho is also known for his quotes and phrases. So now it’s your turn to practice Portuguese. Read these sentences, either from books by Paulo Coelho or that he has said, and try to understand them! If you have any doubts, just write them here in our comment section.
- “Não existe nada de completamente errado no mundo, mesmo um relógio parado consegue estar certo duas vezes por dia.”
- “Quando você quer alguma coisa, todo o universo conspira para que você realize o seu desejo.”
- “É mais fácil amar que ser amado. Aceite o amor: ele não vai ficar esperando para sempre.”
- “Quem deseja ver o arco-íris, precisa aprender a gostar da chuva.”
- “Imagine uma nova história para sua vida e acredite nela.”
- “Quantas coisas perdemos por medo de perder.”
- “A possibilidade de realizarmos um sonho é o que torna a vida interessante.”
- “Não tenha medo do sofrimento, pois nenhum coração jamais sofreu quando foi em busca dos seus sonhos.”
Now you know more about Paulo Coelho’s best books! Have you ever read any of them?
What kind of books do you like to read? If you want to learn more about Brazilian culture and its literature, have Portuguese classes with us.
- “There is nothing completely wrong in the world, even a stopped watch can be right twice a day.”
- “When you want something, the whole universe conspires for you to fulfil your desire.”
- “It is easier to love than to be loved. Accept love: it won’t wait forever.”
- “Who wants to see the rainbow, needs to learn to like the rain.”
- “Imagine a new story for your life and believe in it.”
- “How many things we lose from the fear of losing.”
- “The possibility of making a dream come true is what makes life interesting.”
- “Don’t be afraid of suffering, because no heart ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams.”