Brazil Student Visa Requirements
If you are applying for a Visa while you are in your country, you should do the process in the Consulate. However, if you are already in Brazil, you can do the process at Polícia Federal. There is no need to leave Brazil to apply for the visa.
Let’s take a look at the Brazil Student Visa Requirements. Wherever you are applying for a student Visa for Brazil, here is a list of documents you may need:
- Fill the electronic form (if applying in Brazil, otherwise follow consulate instructions)
- Book service (if applying in Brazil)
The “Código de solicitação ou Requerimento” will be provided upon completing step 1 !
- Passport with at least six months of validity
- Acceptance Letter that proves subscription at the specific course. We can help you with that. Learn more after this list 😉
- Two 3×4 photos.
- Birth certificate.
- Certificate receipt of the residency authorization fees ( 168,13 Brazilian Reais) and emission of the National Migratory Registration Card (204, 77 Brazilian Reais). In the consulate you may be asked for different documents.
- Criminal background certificate or equivalent issued by the judicial authority where have lived for the last five years.
- Declaration, under the law penalties, of lack of criminal background in any other countries for the last five years.
- Documents that prove financial capacity (student’s or legal responsible’s) of covering costs during the students stay in Brazil or document that proves scholarship;
- Documents proving that the person interested attends to graduation course in a foreign university, in case of residency authorization for internship or studies and research exchange. (not needed if studying at Rio & Learn)
- Commitment term between the intern, the part that is providing the internship and the teaching institution where the immigrant is registered that proves the compatibility between your area of knowledge and the activities developed at the internship, in case of residency authorization for internship. (not needed if studying at Rio & Learn).
- If applying for the Visa in Brazil, bear in mind that some of these documents such as birth certificate, criminal background, etc., probably will be required in a translated version made by a certified translator. Check here a list of certified translators in Rio de Janeiro.
For you to pay the taxes on item 7, please click here to directly access the online form in the Policia Federal official website. Here you will be able to generate 2 separate invoices, one for each tax, that you can pay at any bank.
You will have to complete the form 2 times, once for each tax.
In the “Unidade Arrecadadora” dropdown menu, choose RJ (1058) DELEGACIA DO AEROPORTO INTERNACIONAL if you are applying in Rio de Janeiro
The fee amount is added automatically when choosing the appropiate code from the STN Revenue Code dropwdown menu.
CÓDIGOS RECEITA STN
- STN. 140066 : PROCESSAMENTO E AVALIAÇÃO DE PEDIDOS DE AUTORIZAÇÃO DE RESIDENCIA (Processing and evaluation of applications for residence permits). 168,13 Brazilian Reais
- STN 140120 : EMISSÃO DE CARTEIRA DE REGISTRO NACIONAL MIGRATÓRIO (Issuance of Immigrant Identity Card) . 204,77 Brazilian Reais
Criminal background (if applying in Brazil)
Finally, if you want to apply for a Student Visa in Brazil, at the Polícia Federal, you need proof of negative criminal background certificate in the judicial, criminal or police areas. Here are the three documents you need. The directions on number 2 and 3 are for Rio de Janeiro. Check the directions for the Polícia Estadual and Federal Justice in the Brazilian State you are:
Brazil Student Visa Renewal
You can extended you Brazil Student VISA for periods of 365 days, requesting it to the Federal Police agency closest to the place of residence, up to 30 days before the term expires.
To apply you will need the following documents;
- Proof of academic achievement and proof of enrollment;
- Certified copy of the temporary registration (identity card for foreigners);
- Clear and complete certified copy of the passport (including blank sheets) or the travel document used;
- Proof of means of subsistence during your stay in Brazil;
- Proof of payment of the GRU / Funapol fee.
Other documents may be requested, when deemed necessary.