Student Visa Brazil
Wondering how to get a student Visa for Brazil?
For people who want to study Portuguese in Brazil for a long term (more than 90 days), Rio & Learn is going to help you in the Student Visa process. You will find here the Brazil student visa Requirements, a list of the necessary documents in order for you to apply for your visa, either in your own country or while in Brazil. So, here you will find all you need to know about studying in Brazil for international students.
The only document that a student needs from the educational institution to be able to apply for a Student Visa for Brazil is a Letter of Acceptance. The Brazilian student Visa is provided for the period you are studying, it means there is no minimum course duration for requiring a Visa. However, the student should have at least 15 hours of group classes per week. But, if you are coming for less than 90 days, we recommend you enter Brazil as a tourist. It’s much easier to get than a Brazil Study Visa.
Some tourists from selected countries have a way to expand their tourist visa for more 90 days, getting to a total of 180 uninterrupted days in Brazil! Selected countries include: United States, United Kingdom, France, Canada, Japan, Australia, Spain, South Korea almost all Latam countries and some others! If you want to check if your country is in the list, you just need to read this document. If you as a tourist so desires to extend their stay, you need to go to the nearest Immigration Station with your documents and ask for a renewal. In Rio, the Immigration Station is at Santos Dumont Airport, 2º floor. If you are in other Brazilian States, you can find the nearest Immigration Station here.
Let’s see how to get a Brazilian Student Visa:
How to Get a Student Visa for Brazil
If you apply for a visa while you are in your country, you should start the process at the Consulate. You can apply for the Visa in any Brazilian Consulate in the world! However, if you are already in Brazil, you can start the process at Polícia Federal. There is no need to leave Brazil to apply for the visa. Let’s look at the Brazil student visa requirements. These are all the documents you may need:
- Fill the electronic form (if applying in Brazil, otherwise follow consulate instructions);
- Book service (only if applying in Brazil), bear in mind the code asked in this step is only provided after filling out the electronic form above (Remember you can change languages on the top right corner!);
- One 3×4 picture that is recent in a white background;
- Passport with at least six months of validity;
- Acceptance Letter that proves subscription at the specific course. We can help you with that. Learn more after this list;
- Filled form of contact information such as email, telephone, and home address;
- Birth or marriage certificate with a Hague Apostille by the country issuing the original document (read more about Hague Apostille after this list);
- Criminal background certificate or equivalent issued by the judicial authority where have resided for the last five years. Here, it doesn’t count if you lived somewhere using a tourist visa, only if you were an official resident. If this document is issued outside of Brazil, it must have a Hague Apostille.
If you are applying in Brazil, this doesn’t mean you don’t need the criminal record from the country you lastly resided for at least five years! However, you can obtain your Brazilian criminal record in two different ways:
8.1 – If you are currently in Rio de Janeiro, you can obtain it here online. Just follow the path: E-Cartorio >Certidões > Registro de Distribuição > Cível e Criminal > Certidão Criminal – Período 20 anos > Solicitações de certidões cíveis e criminais com isenções de emolumentos nos casos.
8.2 – If you prefer, you can also obtain it by going to two different Registries that are complementary: (1) Almirante Barroso Avenue, n. 90, – Centro, Rio de Janeiro; (2) Erasmo Braga Avenue, n. 227, – Centro, Rio de Janeiro;
9. Filled form that you are not coming to perform a job as a scientist, researcher or teacher.
10. Certificate receipt of the residency authorization fees (168,13 Brazilian Reais) and emission of the National Migratory Registration Card (204,77 Brazilian Reais). Read more about how to do it below. Important: these fees only apply if you are doing the process in Brazil, if you are doing by a Consulate, other fees might apply!
11. Documentation that proves the financial capacity of oneself or of those responsible for the maintenance of the interested party in Brazil during the period that it’s intended to remain in the country, or proof of possession of a scholarship;
12. If applying for the visa in Brazil, bear in mind that some of these documents such as birth certificate and criminal background will be required in a translated version made by a certified translator. Check here a list of certified translators in Rio de Janeiro. Remember, Federal Police doesn’t accept translations made outside of Brazil or by unauthorized translators.
Also, don’t forget that the Federal Police in Brazil can ask other documents that are not listed here if they consider it necessary to evaluate your visa requirements.
If you choose to ask for you visa through your consulate, remember that taxes and document requirements might differ!
More Information About the Hague Apostille
The Hague Apostille is one of the Brazil Student Visa requirements. It is a seal that can be placed on documentation to make it valid in other countries. The purpose of this seal is to facilitate and simplify the legalization of documents among the 112 signatory countries. That is, if you have a document that has the Hague Apostille, this document is valid in the 112 signatory countries of this agreement. the Apostille is valid for any documents of an individual, not valid only for diplomatic and international trade documents.
It is important to note that only the country that issued the original document can provide a Hague Apostille. So, you can’t try to get a Hague Apostille for an American document in Brazil, for example. But if you pick up your Hague Apostille in your home country, your document will be valid in Brazil.
Brazil requires The Hague Apostille for some basic documents to prove the registration of an individual. So, Brazil’s authorities can require the Apostille for documents such as birth certificate, marriage certificate and criminal record.
Every country has a unique way to issue a Hague Apostille. Inform yourself about how it is in your country!
Important to remember: This seal doesn’t have expiration date, but it also doesn’t have the power to extend the expiration date from other documents!
More Information About The Taxes
For you to pay the taxes on item 10, please click here to directly access the online form in the Policia Federal official website. Here you will be able to generate 2 separate invoices, one for each tax, that you can pay at any bank or at their own website, using credit card.
Remember: you will have to complete the form 2 times, once for each tax. The fee amount is added automatically when typing the correct code.
Important: these fees only apply if you are doing the process in Brazil. If this process is conducted by a Consulate, other fees might apply!
CODES FOR TAXES (CÓDIGOS RECEITA STN):
140066: PROCESSAMENTO E AVALIAÇÃO DE PEDIDOS DE AUTORIZAÇÃO DE RESIDENCIA (Processing and evaluation of applications for residence permits): 168,13 Brazilian Reais.
140120: EMISSÃO DE CARTEIRA DE REGISTRO NACIONAL MIGRATÓRIO (Issuance of Immigrant Identity Card): 204,77 Brazilian Reais
What about Intern Visa?
If you are coming as an intern for an university or a company, you will still apply for the same student visa, but you will need to present more documents. Let’s check out what else you need to present if you are applying for this kind of position:
1 – Term of commitment from the company or university where you will perform your activities;
2 – Invitation letter from the company or university, inviting you for said position;
It’s important to remember that you can only apply for intern positions in Brazil if you are currently enrolled in an university!
Documents for Renewing Your Student Visa
You can extended you Brazil student visa for periods of 365 days, requesting it to the Federal Police agency closest to the place of residence, up to 30 days before the term expires. But remember: if you are certain you will stay in Brazil for a year, apply for the one year visa, and not for the six months one counting on the renewal. The renewal process is slow and dense, almost as if applying for a whole new visa.
To apply you will need the following documents for your Brazil student visa requirement:
1 – Acceptance Letter that proves subscription at the specific course;
2 – Certified copy of the temporary registration (identity card for foreigners);
3 – Clear and complete certified copy of the passport (including blank sheets);
4 – Documents that prove financial capacity of covering costs during the students stay in Brazil;
5 – Proof of payment of the GRU / Funapol fee.
Other documents may be requested, when deemed necessary.
Study in Brazil for International Students
Here at Rio & Learn, we have three possibilities if you want to come study in Brazil. In all these formats, you will have your letter of acceptance, which is the relevant document required to apply for your student visa. Check out below our options!
One Year Visa
This is our complete package for you to learn Portuguese and enjoy Rio for a whole year. What is included:
780 hours of Portuguese group classes;
800 hours of RioLIVE! Activities;
Letter of acceptance.
For only 16.000 reais!
Six Months Visa
If you want to stay for only six months, we also have the right option for you! What is included:
360 hours of Portuguese group classes;
360 hours of RioLIVE! Activities;
Letter of acceptance.
For only 9.000 reais!
For those who want to customize their experience! Just remember to include your letter of acceptance.
Flexibility of weeks;
RioLIVE! Activities always included.
Weeks with progressive discount!
For inquiries and questions about the Brazil student visa requirements please send an email to email@example.com.
You can also reach us by Skype rioandlearn or WhatsApp +55 21 996 944 740.