Ready to keep traveling around Brazil?
So, let’s learn more about Manaus City in Brazil.
Where is Manaus
Manaus city is located in the North Region of Brazil and it is the capital of the state of Amazonas. Have you heard about it? The city is situated right next to the junction of two very famous river here in Brazil: Rio Negro and Rio Solimões. As Manaus city is located in the middle of the Amazon Rain forest, the best ways to get there are by plane and by boat.
Because of its speacial location, the city was popularly called Coração da Amazonia (Heart of the Amazon) and Cidade da Floresta (City of the Forest). Manaus is the largest city in the north of Brazil and it has 2,1 million inhabitants, and it is the 8th most visited place by tourists.
Manaus was founded in 1669 by the Portuguese and has had many different names. The first one was Forte de São José do Rio Negro, but at that time, it wasn’t considered a city yet. Almost two hundred years later, in 1832, it was elevated to town and given the name Manaos in honor to the native Indians who lived there. In October 24th, 1848 it officially became a city and it was called Cidade da Barra do Rio Negro, but 8 years later it changed to the current name, Manaus, which means Mother of God.
Here in Rio de Janeiro, on November 15th, 1889, Brazil was proclaimed as a Republic and at that time the demand for rubber increased world widely, and the state of Amazonas, which was one of the main producers in the world, started to receive lots immigrants and migrants to work in industries.
Free Trade Zone of Manaus City
Zona Franca de Manaus (Free Trade Zone) is one of the main industrial centers in the country. It was created in 1967 by the government, and the idea was to have an economic zone free of taxes to encourage the commerce in the region and integrate the city with the rest of the country.
The free trade zone also exports products to several countries in world such as Argentina, Venezuela, Colombia and Mexico here in Latin America and India, Hungary, German and The Netherlands.
Now it’s you Turn
Check True or False for the affirmations below:
- ( ) Manaus é a capital do estado do Amazonas.
- ( ) A cidade de Manaus está localizada no meio da Floresta da Tijuca.
- ( ) Manaus foi fundada pelos índios.
- ( ) O primeiro nome da cidade foi Forte de São José do Rio Negro.
- ( ) A indústria é um setor muito forte em Manaus.
- ( ) Manaus exporta Açaí e Cupuaçu.
- ( ) A Zona Franca de Manaus foi criada no dia 15 de Novembro de 1889.
- ( ) Manaus exporta produtos para países da America Latina e Europa.
See you soon!
Two kisses from Rio de Janeiro!
Click on the links below to see more related Dicas
Most important Brazilian cities
The history of Salvador
History of Rio de Janeiro
Rio Grande do Sul
The origin of São Paulo
Cheap Trips throughout Brazil
Travel Vocabulary in Portuguese
- (T) Manaus é a capital do estado do Amazonas.
- (F) A cidade de Manaus está localizada no meio da Floresta da Tijuca.
- (F) Manaus foi fundada pelos índios.
- (T) O primeiro nome da cidade foi Forte de São José do Rio Negro.
- (T) A indústria é um setor muito forte em Manaus.
- (T) Manaus exporta Açaí e Cupuaçu.
- (F) A Zona Franca de Manaus foi criada no dia 15 de Novembro de 1889.
- (T) Manaus exporta produtos para países da America Latina e Europa.