What’s up, fellas! Let’s learn about the Brazilian Republic Day! In our A Dica do Dia today we’ll understand more about this holiday that is so important to Brazilian hearts.
When is Brazilian Republic Day?
|Days of the week||Date||Month||Year|
History of the Republic Proclamation Day in Brazil
The Proclamation of the Republic was a great event in the history of Brazil because it made the country improve in political, economic, and social matters. It is one of the most important holidays from a historical perspective in Brazil.
The independence of Brazil happened in 1822 and with it the country started to be ruled by a king named D. Pedro I. As he gave up power, his son D. Pedro II, who was only five years old at that time, took on the power in his place. Years passed and the monarchy of D. Pedro II was not going very well. There were crisis, there was no freedom of speech, and peoples’ rights were simply ignored.
It was through the dissatisfaction of the people that, on the 15th of November of the year 1889, Marechal Deodoro da Fonseca and the republicans who supported him decided to lead a military coup that ended the monarchy and permitted Brazil to have its first President in charge.
Since then this date is one of the most important in Brazil because it represents the fight of the people for their rights and for their future.
- The Republic was proclaimed by a monarchist. Marshal Deodoro da Fonseca was a personal friend of the prince and was only convinced of the change four hours before the fall of the Empire.
- As soon as the royal family left the country, the provisional government auctioned off their objects that were left. The idea was to erase the memory of the monarchy in the country.
- The anthem of the proclamation of the Republic became a song of the samba school Imperatriz Leopoldinense in 1989. You can hear it here.
- Deodoro da Fonseca suffered from a dyspnea, a symptom common to many heart and respiratory diseases.
- The country was only called the Federal Republic of Brasil with the Constitution of 1967, promulgated during the military regime. Before that the name chosen was the United States of Brazil. It reminds you of something? Haha…
- The emperor Dom Pedro II was in Petrópolis when the Republic was proclaimed.
- The Republic was proclaimed next to Campo de Santana in the center of Rio de Janeiro.
|Desistir do poder||To give up on the power|
|Assumir o poder||To take on the power|
|Liberdade de expressão||Freedom of speech|
|Golpe militar||Military coup|
|Queda do Império||Fall of the Empire|
|Governo Provisório||Provisional Government|
Exercise about Brazilian Republic Day
- Complete the sentences with the right words from the box:
|presidente / povo / crise / monarquia / rei / social / república / direitos|
a) Você sabe quem é o atual __________ do Brasil?
b) O __________ do Brasil é denominado brasileiro.
c) Pedro I era chamado de __________ Soldado.
d) O nome completo do Brasil é __________ Federativa do Brasil.
e) Os __________ dos brasileiros estão constados na Constituição Brasileira.
f) Será que a __________ de 1929 atingiu o Brasil também?
g) A causa __________ e econômica são ainda muito discutidas no Brasil.
h) A Princesa Isabel foi uma das últimas pessoas da __________ do Rio de Janeiro.
What about you? What date do you consider to be important for the history of your countries? See you on our next Dica, fellas! And you can also check out our previous Dicas here.
Big hug from Rio & Learn!