What’s up? In today’s Dica, we will learn about the history of Tiradentes.
The Tiradentes day is on the 21st of April, and it is a national holiday, in homage to Joaquim José da Silva Xavier, better known as Tiradentes.
Joaquim José da Silva Xavier was many things, but his nickname (and the name of the holiday) came due to he’s tole as an amateur dentist. In Portuguese Tiradentes is a word invented by the union of two words tirar and dentes. Tirar means to take something off and dentes mean teeth. So, his name basically means the one who takes teeth off. Interesting, right?
Tiradentes was a dentist, business man, miner, military and a political activist in Brazil. He acted during the colonial times in Brazil, in the captaincies of Minas Gerais and Rio de Janeiro.
Tiradentes is considered to be a martyr and a hero for the people of Minas Gerais. He is known as a great leader that fought for it’s people and it’s ideals, even though he was the most humble among the members of the movement. He was the one to assume the most amount of responsibilities on everything.
In the year of 1789, part of the population of Minas Gerais tried to start a separatist revolution against the domain of the Portuguese in Brazil. Tiradentes was the biggest activist in this movement, known as Inconfidência Mineira, and was the only one sentenced to death. His capacity for organization and leadership made him the one chosen to lead the Inconfidência Mineira. He was hanged and later quartered in Rio de Janeiro on the 21st of April 1792, and that is why we have this holiday.
When the republic was proclaimed in Brazil, the city of Vila de São José do Rio das Dores got a new name, as a homage to the hero, and now it is known as Tiradentes. The most charming historical city in the state of Minas Gerais.
Exercise about Tiradentes
Now that you know a lot about this important person in Brazil’s history, let’s do an exercise to challenge your knowledge. Complete the sentences with parts of the text. If you really want to test your comprehension skills, read this Dica in Portuguese to complete the exercise, other wise it’ll be too easy!
- A cidade que hoje é conhecida como Tiradentes antigamente se chamava __________.
- Ele liderou um importante movimento revolucionário brasileiro chamado __________.
- Foi escolhido para ser líder por conta de suas habilidades __________.
- Seu apelido surgiu por conta de __________.
- A data de sua morte foi __________.
- O motivo principal da revolução era __________.
- Este feriado é dia __________.
- O nome do líder da revolução era ____________________.
That’s all folks! We have just learned a bit more about the history of one of the most important characters in Brazilian history. Who’s the most important person in your country?
Learn a bit more about Brazil staying tuned to our Dicas everyday! And if you want to learn even more check out our Online Portuguese classes to know everything about our history, culture and language!
We’ll see you in our next Dica!
Kisses from Rio & Learn!
- A cidade que hoje é conhecida como Tiradentes antigamente se chamava Vila de São José do Rio das Dores.
- Ele liderou um importante movimento revolucionário brasileiro chamado Inconfidência Mineira.
- Foi escolhido para ser líder por conta de suas habilidades de organização e liderança.
- Seu apelido surgiu por conta de sua atuação como dentista amador.
- A data de sua morte foi 21 de Abril de 1792.
- O motivo principal da revolução era romper com o domínio colonizador de Portugal.
- Este feriado é dia 21 de Abril.
- O nome completo do líder da revolução era Joaquim José da Silva Xavier.